In 1998 Wild Asia began scouting for pioneers and gems in responsible tourism (RT) across Asia, we worked to find relevant benchmarks in sustainable tourism and with that the Responsible Tourism Initiative was created.
In 2006 we took an inquisitive and bold step to further develop the initiative as we set up the Responsible Tourism Awards. From its conception, we have had the privilege of gaining insights from over 200 operators across Asia, seen first-hand over 30 operators and been confident to award 33 finalists and 18 winners from countries such as Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Maldives, Malaysia, Philippines, and Thailand.
The Awards and the growth of responsible tourism as a topic has also lent us much interest on the media front. To date, we have helped publish nearly 300 articles both on our website and in the print media such as; Asian Geographic, Lifestyle & Travel, BBC, Action Asia, WHL Group, Travel Mole The Star and The New Straits Times. Over the past few years Wild Asia has also conducted a wide variety of RT talks and workshops and reaching out to over 1800 participants. All of our efforts were to raise awareness of RT and to influence operators to work towards making tourism a force for good – to conserve nature, promote local economies, and empower communities.
- 2015 Borneo Rainforest Lodge (Borneo) onsite environmental assessment
- 2015 The Datai (Langkawi) onsite visit and recommendations
- 2015 Workship in Tioman about sustainable management for accomodations
- 2015 Sukau Rainforest Lodge (Borneo) onsite assessment and support to get Travelife
- 2014 Reef Check team training about Travelife International Eco label
- 2012-2013 Study Project on Nature Based Tourism Destinations in Malaysia for Tourism Malaysia – Tourism Consultant
- 2011-2013 Strategic Implementation Plan (SIP) for Proposed Taman Negara Endau Rompin Tourism Development for East Coast Economic Region Development Council (ECERDC) – Tourism & Business Consultant
- 2011 Review of a Tourism Development against Sustainable Tourism Criteria – Batu-Batu Resort, Malaysia
- 2010 Tourism Strategy for Eastern Regional Development Corridor – Malaysia
- 2008-2012 Promoting Sustainable Tourism in Asia – Responsible Tourism Awards
- 2006 Promoting Sustainable Tourism in Malaysia – British Government FCO Funds
- 2005 Capacity Building of Communities in Tourism – UNDP
- 2002 Formulation of a Spatial and Conceptual Guideline for Sustainable Nature Tourism Development of the Forests of Ulu Muda
- 2010 Leaders in Destinations Workshop for Belum Eco Resort, Malaysia
- 2010 Leaders in Destinations Workshop for Borneo Rainforest Lodge, Sabah, Malaysia
- Responsible Tourism in Action Workshops in 2008 & 2009
Talks & Presentations
- 2008 Web in Travel Conference, Singapore
- 2008 UNDP: Tourism and Environment, Cambodia
- 2010 2nd FEALAC Ecotourism Conference, South Korea
- 2010 World CSR Conference, Malaysia
- 2010 World Eco Tourism Conference, Malaysia
- 2010 SNV RT Workshop, Cambodia
- 2011 Open Path Education, Malaysia
- 2011 PATA Adventure Travel and Responsible Tourism Conference, Nepal
- 2011 University of Santo Tomas, Philippines
- 2011 Amway, Malaysia
- 2011 Taylors University, Malaysia
- 2014 International Conference of Community Development Through Tourism, Cambodia
- 2014 Ecolodge Workshop, APECO, Malaysia
Our Client & Partners
Organisations we have worked with:
[flickrset id="72157629061936438" thumbnail="thumbnail" photos="8" overlay="true" size="medium"]
Here’s what others are saying:
The Responsible Tourism training has been successfully conducted, very informative point of views in different parts of the tourism industry. The training was an ideal platform to share ideas and get useful alternatives to apply within our organizations. It’s a good start to get all stakeholders to meet and state commitment.
Thank you very much for all what your Responsible Tourism team has done towards making this world (specifically in tourism) a better place for every one through your organization.