Responsible tourism is fundamental in safeguarding destinations, making them better places to visit and for locals alike, better places to live. Wild Asia believes that an understanding of social and environmental issues is essential to developing new models for tourism. With this in mind, Wild Asia introduced its Responsible Tourism Initiative (RTI), which is one of the first regional support programmes specifically designed for finding technical solutions to promote sustainability across the entire tourism supply chain in Asia.
Wild Asia’s Tourism technical programme provides professional support to tourism businesses in the following areas:
- Baseline Assessment & Reporting / Communications (property or destination assessments, evaluation, reporting, communications);
- Training & Capacity Building (internal training workshops for management & work teams)
- Support to meet International Sustainable Tourism Standards, eg. Travelife System, GSTC benchmarking (assessment, management support, training plan, audit, certification)
We are committed to supporting both large and small organisations, from the private and public sector, to meet the expectations of the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria.
We have tailored our work to be practical, implementable and relevant, not just for tourism operators but to other actors in the supply chain (buyers, traders and retailers) and destination organisations or managers (national tourism offices, tourism associations or authorities).
Track record in the Tourism Sector
Wild Asia has built up the experience of the tourism sector in Malaysia. The Responsible Tourism Awards has given Wild Asia the exposure to best practices across Asia including countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, India and the Maldives. In seven years, we have completed seven major assignments, trained over 225 professionals and NGOs and reached out to over 2000 industry players via talks, conferences and events. RTI has been featured in over 15 International and National media and given professional talks in over 15 events. A summary of the major assignments include:
- Technical Support: Tourism Malaysia, East Coast Economic Region Council (ECRDC), Hotel Penaga, Alorie Lepa Lepa, Batu Batu Resort;
- Tourism Operator Audits and Assessments: Hotel Penaga, Responsible Tourism Awards’ site assessments
- “Leaders in Destinations” Training in Sustainable Tourism, People & Environment and Regional RT Events: Taylors University, Borneo Rainforest Lodge, Belum Eco Lodge, WWF Community Based Ecotourism, annual ITB Asia Responsible Tourism Forum lectures and clinics.
Learn more about our professional services and say hello to our team.