[dropcap]T[/dropcap]his post congratulates Frangipani Langkawi Resort and Spa for being recognized as a 2013 Wild Asia Responsible Tourism Awards Finalist. This award recognizes excellence in waste, water and energy management and sustainable architectural design in order to minimize your business’s environmental impact.
This secluded and eco-friendly resort is situated on a 400-metre stretch of soft golden sand along Pantai Tengah, southwest of Langkawi. All 117 rooms, villas and suites are spacious, tastefully decorated to provide a calm feeling and relaxed atmosphere. Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa is the first resort in Langkawi to implement Green practices to preserve the environment.
Our favourite things about them!
- Good practices to reduce and recycle waste. Onsite recycling centre.
- 60% renewable energy and good practices to monitor energy usage, actively working to reduce consumption of electricity.
- Good water saving measures.
- In-house environmental education department.
- Eco-walks to engage guests in environmental issues; exceptional and very commendable effort.
- The awards they have received are recent and specifically for green hotels / environment.
- Long track record in sustainable tourism practices in Malaysia.
- ‘Walks the talk’ when it comes to responsible and sustainable tourism approaches.
- PATA Grand Awards 2012 Environmental Education
- ASEAN Green Hotel Awards 2011
- 2010 Winner ASEANTA Best Conservation Effort
- Virgin RT Awards Large Accommodation Highly Recommended
- Claims to be the only hotel in Malaysia that has Environment & Education Department that monitors the progress of resource efficiency and trains staff and the public.
- Recyclable items sold to the recycle contractor (paper, aluminium cans, tins plastic bottles).
- Organic waste is processed into compost and is measured. Fish and chicken intestines are buried as fertilizers near fruit trees. Fruit peels are processed as enzyme which is cleaning agent.
- Items that can be recycled in house are used for e.g wine bottles are used as feature wall, lamp and vases. Engage guests with recycling agenda by showing staff do glass painting.
- 60% renewable energy.
- Monitor and report all energy use.
- Inform guests about reducing energy through info in rooms and lobby, and eco-walks.
- 99 politanks (4,000 litres) for rainwater harvesting; 77 water container for air-conditioner water harvesting to water plants and clean public area.
- Every month comparisons are made on water consumption, made known to staff to get their support on water conservation.
- Target: 10 % decrease in water consumption for year 2103 is relayed to all staff for their contribution to achieve.
Protection of Natural Areas and Wildlife Conservation
- Each department has own Green practices including the Purchasing in Accounts and Maintenance with the Environment Department monitoring all departments adhere to the rules and regulations pertaining to Green Practices.
- Pesticide, insecticide and fungicide are processed in house using neem leaves.
- Salt water pool use rock salt which uses less chlorine.
- Grow morning glory to prevent beach erosion.