[dropcap]T[/dropcap]his post congratulates Heritance Kandalama for being recognized as a 2013 Wild Asia Responsible Tourism Awards Winner. This award recognizes excellence in waste, water and energy management and sustainable architectural design in order to minimize your business’s environmental impact.
Heritance Kandalama is an architectural masterpiece by Geoffrey Bawa, built overlooking the eighth wonder of the world – the rock fortress of Sigiriya. The hotel sits at the heart of the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka, close to five UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Our favourite things about them!
- A well known contributor to sustainable tourism practices across Asia Pacific.
- First-mover advantage in sustainable tourism certification in the region.
- Excellent Resource efficiency policy, clear targets and action plans.
- Winner of National Productivity Awards Sri Lanka for Service sector.
- Gold Medal for Cleaner Production, National Cleaner Production Awards.
- 2012 Finalist Wild Asia Responsible Tourism Awards ‘Most Inspiring Operator’.
- ISO140001, ISO50001 management systems.
- ISO140001, ISO50001 management systems for energy and water conservation.
- Practice 7R’s: Reject, Reduce, Reuse, Reclaim, Repair, Replace and Recycle for sourcing and disposing (waste is monitored)
- 13% renewable energy
- Engage guests with environmentally friendly activities
- GRI Reporting, National Green Reporting System of Sri Lanka (NGRs) for water withdrawl and consumption
- Purchasing policy in place to promote local products
- Deliver presentations to special interest groups on the environment
- Three sewage treatment plants which process 100% of water, sludge is used as compost on their 50 acre land or sold to guests.
- Organic waste is sent to local piggery farm for food.
Protection of Natural Areas and Wildlife Conservation
- Use environmentally friendly products and all chemicals used are certified as biodegradable by the Central Environment Authority of Sri Lanka.